Sunday, October 12, 2008

Danger - A Safe Bahamian Novel - Day 29

Danger - A Safe Bahamian Novel - Day 29

(3:06 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)

*** A Lonely Room

Hey there gentle reader, getting very close to the end now. Of the month, not necessarily of the story. Or at least of the writing of the story.

Today and tomorrow. Can we pull it off together? Two thousand plus today and two thousand plus tomorrow somehow and we can call it a pretty good NaNo month. Only one day of not reaching quota if the next two pan out. But will they pan out.

(Cue ominous music......)

Yes, indeed, two more days and then a minor celebration. If only we had more writers doing this here on the rock. Then we could have us an after party and live it up.

I guess I have another thing to add to my list for next year. As well as all of the literary things that I need to learn by then, I need to become a better promoter and organizer. I think I may have a better change of learning the writing skills than the others though.

Would you like to try your hand at writing your novel next year, gentle reader? (Are you living on the rock? Not on the rocks, mind you, on the rock as in on New Providence or in Nassau. The rock. You Gibraltar people don't pay any mind to us please.)

(3:16 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)

Well, a little house keeping on yesterday's work and we may be ready to try and churn out some serious words. Do we have the concepts ready for today though? Time is flowing by in never ending bits. Chopped fine but flowing swiftly.

(3:30 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)

I can't get the gears to really start turning properly right now... Think. Think. Think.


*** A Salvage Vessel Anchoured Off Of The North Shore Of Ambergris Cay, Abaco (Last Night)

"Alright Reg, I guess you can't send a crew back down tonight. Get everything squared away and we will get going again first thing in the morning."

"OK, boss, That would be most wise. We are pushing things to the limit with these dives. I think I will set some shark lines tonight and see if we can bring our intruder to justice."

"Don't you think you might run the risk of attracting others?" says the voice from the shadows.

"Could be, but this one was a bit too aggressive. I would gladly trade two or three normal sharks for him. I don't fancy being back in the water with him still hanging around.


*** Inside Of Some Helicopters Approaching Ambergris Cay, Abaco

The helicopters are once again down low, almost at sea level. They are making good speed but begin to slow down and then come to a stop and simply hover.

The doors on the side are opened and the helicopters oriented so that those inside can see in the direction of a salvage vessel anchoured in the vicinity.

"There they are. We have reports that they have had a set back and that almost all of the activity of the last few days has died off. Things are very quiet down there now it seems." says Mandy.

"So, are we going to hit them now?" asks Jack.

"That's the plan. I want you and Sarai to hang back and let us secure things before coming aboard."

"I thought we had been through all of this before and settled it Mandy," says Sarai.

"That's how I remember it," says Jack.

"Look, you are here, let that be good enough."

"I for one am not here for good enough," says Jack, "I am here for the whole game, let's not argue the point anymore."

"So am I," says Sarai.

"Stubborn people. Stubborn. Let's do this then."

(3:54 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)

(4:28 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)

Well, they went in low and silent and they did it. The action lit the night sky and thundered over the waves.


*** Beach On The Far End Of Nun Jack, Abaco

Fred and Golden Child are sitting on the beach near a small fire surrounded by conch shells. There is a line running from a casuarina tree above the sand down to and out into the water. It is a shark line.

"Throw some more chum in Fred. I want to get that bad boy tonight for sure."

Fred gets up and goes over to a five gallon paint bucket a little way down the beach and picks up an old tin cup from the sand beside it. He dips up a cup of nastiness and walks down to the edge of the water. As carefully as he can, so as not to get any nasty on himself, he throws the grossness out into the water as far as he can. Then he reaches down and rinses the cup and his hands in the cool water.

He walks back up to the paint bucked and drops the cup back into the sand before walking back to the fire and his heart.

(4:52 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)

(5:44 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)

"Hey sweety. Miss me?"

"You know it! Tiger," growls Golden Child, "OK, we are going to get him now."

They sit side by side on the sand, holding hands, making small talk, roasting hot dogs on the fire and watching for signs on the line.

Well after dinner, they have been laying back and looking at the stars and talking deep space for a while. With Golden Child peeking at the line from time to time. They are starting to get drowsy when Fred peeks over at the line and sees a message waiting.

"Goldy, I think we have some action."

"What?" says Goldy rolling towards him and into his arms, "Action is it? I thought you would never get around to action!"

Fred pushes her off laughing and pointing at the line, "Oh I wish sweets, but that is the action to which I refer."

She elbows him in his solar plexus as she rolls to look at the line. "OK, Mr. Formal, I'll take that action for now!" she says jumping to her feet and running for the line.

Fred is up and running behind her, but slowly, trying to catch his breath.

Whatever is on the other end of the line runs them all over the beach for a while and then suddenly a light and thunder show breaks out somewhere to the north and west of them out over the water.

"What is that?"

"I don't know sweets, but it must be something major."

"Sounds like a battle to me," says Golden Child.

"A Battle? Are you sure?"

"That's what it sounds like."

They are not paying attention to the line and it sweeps along the beach and trips them down as it passes.

They struggle back up from the pile they are in and run to grab it again.

"Let's finish this quickly and them maybe we can go have a look and see what is going on."

"I am all for finishing this, but we are not going to go anywhere near there tonight Fred. It will be way too dangerous."

(6:16 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)

(7:34 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)

"We could take the dingy and keep quiet and stay far enough away so they don't notice us. If I take the binoculars we should be able to see something interesting from a distance."

"Let's get this bad boy on the beach! Pull! Look, if you want to get the binoculars and see what you can see from here, fine, but we... are... not... going... near... there... Pull! in... the... dinghy. Trust me on this my husband."


*** In The Very Spacious Salon Of A Mega Yacht Some Where In The Waters Of The Abacos

Horse Rider rushes into the Salon out of breath. "We may have waited too long Moon Daughter, things have gone wrong on the research vessel. They have been attacked. We don't know who is behind it. Should I call the others and mobilize?"

"What does Man Tears have to say Horse Rider? What can we hope to gain by going now?"

"I say we go now and overcome the attackers and then finish the job ourselves."

"We could, yes, but you know my plan is to let out foes do all the work they can before we snatch away the spoils. We are much better off behind the scene for now. We didn't fare too well on that other little action you and Dirge Singer got up to did we?"

"No, Moon Daughter, but this is different. You know the reports said they were raising something significant."

"Significant how, sister? Large and substantial, yes, but of importance, who is to say? It may turn out to be nothing of value. And are we to reveal ourselves early in the game for a bauble? I think not."

"But, it is not early in the game Moon Daughter. The game is well advanced."

"Little sister, let me be the judge of the game's stages please. Go now and send Silver One to me, I need to discuss some plans with her."

(7:49 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)

Horse Rider leaves and Moon Daughter sits down in on a sofa and puts her head in her hands and sighs.

After a short while, Silver One comes in and sits beside her. "Are you OK, Moon Daughter?"

"Yes, I'm fine, things are getting a bit complicated though. I think I want to take us a bit closer to the action tonight though. Would you tell the captain to take us into the area of Green Turtle Cay from the south please, then come back and discuss some things with me please."

"OK, Moon Daughter, I will be back soon."

(8:21 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)


*** A Lonely Room

Well gentle reader, I didn't actually plan it that way, but things seem to be coming to a head up around Nun Jack. What I am wondering right now though is if this will be the climax, or just the second door, if there is a bigger build up down the road.

I am getting close to my quota for the day and that feels good. I really didn't think I would make it today and tomorrow is even less likely but I will try.

I am not sure where to go for the rest of the night, but perhaps some inspiration will strike. We shall see what we see. Shall we?


(8:34 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)


*** Shack Near Beach


Ronnie is at the computer again.

He is just noodling around here and there, wasting time. Chatting with friends scattered around the world. Reading some more foolishness by that guy who wrote 'Tings - Anuddah Bahamian Novel' and listening to Free copyleft music that he is finding here and there.

He comes across a site where some guy is putting down bits of lyrics and asking others to work on finishing them with him.

I'm going to a place
Where the past is free to roam
Where no one knows my face
And I can find a home
I want wide open spaces
Cause I'm weary to the bone
So I'm seeking out a place
Where the past is free to roam

--

My feet are in the sky and
My head is on the ground
My heart is in the gutter
On the other side of town
Girl I love you better
Every time around

--

I want to have a taste
Of someone else's honey
Want to grab me a pile
Of someone else's money
I want to live my life
Like the Sunday funnies
So I bought me a guide
Written just for dummies

--

The consequences have unraveled
The girl's defences have all flown
Her best pretenses lie in ashes
Now life is senseless, she's alone

Tonight the boys are in the jungle
They're hunting fresh meat every one
Until the moon hides in the ocean
They head on home, here comes the sun

--

I'm not your dream
I'm not your joy
I'm not your favourite
Plastic Boy

But if you touch me
Under the stars
I'll be your man
And you can drive my car

--

I'm not happy bout the sound of your clothes
The high end's fine but the low end blows
And as for the midrange, no one knows
Girl we gotta do something bout the sound of them clothes.

--

I'm just a few hurts short of being in tune
But baby it seems you'll fix that soon
My life was alright till you turned up the gloom
Now I'm a few hurts short of being in tune

--

Through your eyes
I see the lies
And rise above
Their dark disguise
When morning and
The evening flies away.

Girl in my heart
I've made a start
Come join me now and
Be a part of day.

--

He thinks he may try to get in on that game. Some of them look like they might go somewhere.

(8:59 pm Thursday Nov 29, 2007)

No comments: