Sunday, October 12, 2008

Danger - A Safe Bahamian Novel - Day 27

Danger - A Safe Bahamian Novel - Day 27

(4:25 pm Tuesday Nov 27, 2007)

*** A Lonely Room

Wow, gentle reader, I have just spent over an hour doing novel cleanup, posting to the blog, and what not. I just caught some mistakes that I need to go back and fix and I have yet to type in the words that I wrote while at band practice yesterday.

Ouch. I need help and inspiration gentle reader.

Oh, and I need to feed the dogs now and walk them in about a half hour. Fun can Done!

(5:48 pm Tuesday Nov 27, 2007)

Well, dogs walked and hand written parts typed in. Just about two thousand five hundred words to go to sixty thousand words which was my goal for this year's word count.

I am seriously thinking that if I can break that goal tonight or perhaps even tomorrow, that I will let myself off of the two thousand word a day goal that would get me to the sixty thousand. Perhaps just go back and try to put some order to this whole thing or spend some time trying to find an ending.

We shall see.

I don't see getting to sixty thousand tonight though, not the way I feel now. Not unless some serious inspiration comes and strikes me from out of the blue yonder.

I have been listening to that "Closer Than The Dance" vocal and guitar mix and am liking it more the more I listen to it.

Oh, and just to let you know ahead of time... I think there is another band practice tomorrow night.

(6:09 pm Tuesday Nov 27, 2007)

(7:43 pm Tuesday Nov 27, 2007)

It is not gonna happen tonight gentle reader, very little sleep last night and the old eyes are hurting really bad right now. I am thinking seriously of letting some of my characters go to a concert and another read from a book... That's about how desperate I feel right now. Shall I? Why not, let's see how much I can sneak in like that.


*** A North Shore Beach On Rose Island

There was a delay in the gear and the team that Mandy had sent for getting in and so they had decided to get in a little more R and R and they are up on a North shore beach on Rose Island for a sea side concert being put on by some local bands. Not the run of the mill local bands though. Not at all. Mandy, Jack, and Sarai had caught a ride up to the island with one of Jack's friends. Ronnie had said that he would stay home. He didn't want to be around so much partying at this point was the reason he gave. Jack wondered if it wasn't something else.

Barry and the Cudas are up first doing 'Rob Me Blind'

Girl you know I need a woman
To come and steal my heart
So I leave it on the front porch
Each Night when it gets dark

Then I lay upon my pillow
And pray if God be kind
He'd let you drive down my street
Let you stop and rob me blind

When I wake up every morning
I look outside to find
It cold and lonely on the ground
Then I almost lose my mind

The crowd was really into that song and broke out in a great round of applause when it ended. After letting the applause die down a little, they went into their version of 'Going Nowhere'

Baby, we're going nowhere,
And darling, we're moving fast.
Honey, we though forever,
So tell me, why can't love last?

They say, we're young and simple.
Some say, life's in the past.
They say, don't dream forever.
I say, let's make love last.

Baby, let's head out somewhere.
Darling, we don't need fast.
Together, we'll dream forever.
Sweetheart, let's make love last.

We're gonna put love first,
We're gonna make love last.

If we will put love first
Then we can make love last

The crowd was singing along with that one almost from the break and dancing on the sand.

That ended and they went smoothly into 'Checkin You Baby'

I been checkin you baby
Vision's drivin me crazy
I used to be lazy
Now I'm workin real hard

Cause you to look my way
A long drive on the highway
We could park in the byway
Oh I'm workin real hard

Two hearts they could fly way
Way up in the sky away
My love's for real 'll not f-f-f-f-fade away
Oh I'm workin real hard

Jack was dancing with both Mandy and Sarai and loving every minute of it. He had really liked Sarai for years and they had had some good times together. Thinking about it, he realized that she really was one of his best friends.

Come Monday or Tuesday
Everyone with a clue say
He don't know what to do hey?
Mmmm, I'm workin real hard

Now Mandy, she was something special. he thought he might be falling for her. If only she didn't have to stay so hard all of the time. Work. He wasn't minding the envious glances he saw from some of the guys in the crowd when they saw him dancing with two beautiful women like these.

I been peepin you baby
Beauty's drivin me crazy

"You girls want to go for a walk along the beach when this song ends?" Jack asks and they both nod their heads.

Got no time to be lazy
Yeah I'm workin real hard

The song ended and they started to make their way out of the middle of the dancing crown when the Cudas slowed things down and began playing 'The Only One'

"Hey wait up, Jack," said Mandy, "let's dance this one before we go." She turned him to face her and pulled him in close and put her arms around his back.

Sarai was left in the lurch but only for a second, a blond, blue eyed and tanned man appeared out of the crowd in his bare feet and cut off jeans and bowed to her, smiling and with a twinkle in his eyes, "Would you do me the honour of dancing this dance with me, my lady?"

Before she could register all that had just happened, he had started dancing with her. Mandy smiled, and whispered in Jack's ear, "That worked out well. Do you know that guy?"

"I think he is with one of the bands that will be on later."

Everybody knows my name
But to me they're all the same
Darling you're the only one
That I want when the day's run
    Its course

Everybody wants their fame
I only want what I can't tame
Darling you're the only one
That I want when the day's done
    Of course

The force of your love
Is pushing me higher
The heat of your skin
Fuels every desire within
Our hearts and our souls and our brains
Like two runaway trains
Are rushing us on
We dare not remain
But fly on till dawn
Has come once again

Everybody wants someplace
I seek my own with calm and grace
Darling you're the only one
That I want the only one
    I love

(9:25 pm Tuesday Nov 27, 2007)

"Tell me about the desires within Jack," whispers Mandy, running her nail down the back of his neck.

He kisses her gently and looks into hear eyes, "Someday soon I may find the words to tell you, until then, you will have to accept a demonstration if you really want to know."

She returns the kiss, "We'll have to see what we see then. Are you ready to take that walk? Do you think Sarai will be safe with that guy if we left here and went for the walk just the two of us?"

"I don't know if we should do that Mandy, we came together. Is it right for us to just leave her alone? I don't think so."

"She looks like she enjoyed the dance and is doing fine now. How about I go and ask her if it is OK?"

"Nah, I'm going to go and get her and we can all go together," says Jack walking towards Sarai through the crowd.

The Cudas start another song and people start dancing again, Sarai and her new dance partner included.

I saw Susie, standing there with you
In the morning, drinking Mountain Dew
She was so fine, she cut my heart in two
Now I'm crying, I'm crying and I'm blue

"Hey Sarai, sorry to but in, but we are ready to go walk the beach, do you want to go or to stay and dance?"

"Tell him you are going to stay and dance beautiful. He doesn't need to go walking in the moonlight with two gorgeous women and leave me here alone."

Sarai looks at Jack, "Would you mind if I stayed and danced? I haven't danced like this in years."

"No, it's fine, we won't be too long."

"Take your time buddy, I will take good care of Miss Sarai."

Jack turns back towards Mandy.

She don't love me anymore
She don't need me that's for sure
She walked out that open door
Left me crying on the floor
She don't love me anymore

As he gets close to Mandy she smiles, "She wanted to stay and dance, right?"

"Yes. You ready?"

"I thought she would, he looks like her kind of guy."

"How do you know what her kind of guy is?"

"You never heard of womens intuition? Let's go"

I saw Barbie, at the beach with you
In  the bright sun, water shining blue
She left too soon, why I never knew
Now I'm wondering, what's a man to do?

They finally get to the edge of the dancing crowd and head down to the water's edge and head off with the music playing behind them.

She don't love me anymore
She don't need me that's for sure
She walked out that open door
Left me crying on the floor
She don't love me anymore

They walk side by side for a while saying nothing.

I've go Lucy, laughing here with me
She's a beauty, all the world can see
When we get home, sitting on my knee
We'll be snuggling, smooching happily

Mandy moves in close and links her arm in his and holds his hand.

She couldn't love me any more
And she needs me that's for sure
We have closed and locked the door
And we're laughing on the floor
She couldn't love me any more

"You like that song Jack?"

"What are you asking Mandy?"

"Come on Jack, do you like the song? Or don't you? Don't try to read too much into my questions until you know me better."

He laughs, "Sure, I like it well enough I guess, you?"

"Oh, I like it."

The moon is large and bright in the eastern sky. Romantic.

Another band has come on and their first song is 'Why Fight The Feelin'

when you're home and lonely
on a friday night
baby why fight the feelin
ya gonna be alright

when the days grow longer
and the night's too bright
baby why fight the feelin
ya gonna be alright

baby why fight the feelin
ya gonna be alright
baby why fight the feelin
ya gonna be alright

when your best emotion's
either fight or flight
baby why fight the feelin
ya gonna be alright

when your heart comes crashin
to the ground at night
baby why fight the feelin
ya gonna be alright

baby why fight the feelin
ya gonna be alright
baby why fight the feelin
ya gonna be alright

"Why fight the feelin, Jack, why fight the feelin?"

(10:08 pm Tuesday Nov 27, 2007)


*** Shack Near Beach


Ronnie is at the computer again.

Tonight, besides doing a short stint of the brain dumps again, he was reading some Bahamian's NaNo WriMo Novel from two thousand and five. Something called 'Tings - Anuddah Bahamian Novel' and he was enjoying skimming back and forth through it and reading bits that caught his fancy.

Right now he was reading something from day two written around seven forty pm it seems.

"Alley.

Alleys can be narrow or they can be wide. They can be dark and dank, or they can be bright and sunny. They can be twisty and confusing or they can be straight. They can dead end or lead to somewhere. They can have crossroads (crossalleys?) or not.

Let me tell you about the alley that Cang and XXIII ended up in. This was an alley that we shall not name. An alley that we shall not give the location of either. We can say, however, that is was a narrow, twisty alley that seemed to dead end but at the very end it instead narrowed to be impassable by the moke and then turned a blind corner before opening up onto a park. On the other side of the park it, or another alley similar to it, continued on. This alley was not clean either. There was rotting garbage everywhere. Flies swarmed and rats played freely, seemingly without fear of humans. And just let me say that these were no play play rats, no these beauties were johnny rats. And one of those johnny rats was Johnny. In fact, Johnny was not just any johnny rat. You might say he was THE JOHNNY RAT.

Johnny watched with a keen interest as Cang and XXIII passed. He saw the haunted look of fear in Cang's eyes. People with that look could often be dealt with in a certain way that could lead to a nice little something something. And Johnny knew how to deal in that certain way with the best of them.

(8:00 pm Nov 02, 2005)

Johnny fell in behind Cang and XXIII as they abandoned the moke and crossed the park to the alley on the other side.

A little more about the alley if I may...

The alley, on both sides of the park actually, was lined by dilapidated clap board houses. Many with their porches rotting through and many with holes in their roofs where they were missing wooden shingles. Often, there were several houses in the same yard. Sometimes, the alley would wind around in such a way that for someone who knew the area, there was a shortcut through a yard. Johnny knew the area well. He had things planned out. As Cang and XXIII turned a corner, he cut across a yard and got ahead of them. He climbed up a guinep tree and crawled out on a branch that overhung the alley.

He waited quietly for them to pass beneath them and then pounced on Cang's back!

Now Johnny had calculated his actions and plans to a T and things were going even better than he had planned. But there was a problem. He had mistakenly focused his attention on Cang and had not reckoned with the probable reactions of XXIII. It was to be one of the most costly miscalculations of his life.

You see, XXIII had grown quite fond of Cang during their short time together and when he saw Johnny pounce, he promptly went into action. XXIII definitely had Miami Vice's genes in him. (He may have even had genetic memories of Cang passed down in these genes.) Johnny didn't know what hit him. XXIII was all over him like white on rice. Johnny soon let out a squeal that was heard for miles. The pain was unlike anything he had ever experienced before and he had felt a lot of pain during his rough and tumble life.

XXIII clamped on him and pinched him in places and ways that he never could have imagined before actually experiencing them for himself. In fact, the pain was often so intense that he could not actually understand what was happening to him. XXIII left him broken. Under a bucket with a hole in it. Dear Liza or dear Henry may have been able to fix the hole in the bucket, but they, nor anyone else, would be able to fix Johnny again. Johnny was broke worse than Humpty Dumpty.

(8:21 pm Nov 02, 2005)"

That was some funky stuff. Where did that guy come up with such funky stuff? If only Johnny Rat could be dealt with that easily. That really was asking for a bit too much suspension of disbelief there though.

(10:31 pm Tuesday Nov 27, 2007)


*** A Lonely Room

Well, gentle reader, that about does it for today. My eyes really can't take any more tonight. Thanks for sticking it out with me and keeping me company though.

And... Out like a light!

No comments: